|America de Cali|
Full Name: Corporacion Deportiva América
América were founded on February 13, 1927 in one of the poorest neighborhoods in Cali and have remained the "popular" club of the city. The name was chosen after a seemingly innocuous remark by the captain of Uruguay, who stated that "a good name for a team is América". And so it stuck. They are an all-sports club, though football is by far the most popular. Their initial colors were blue and white stripes after those of Racing Club in Argentina. This later turned to blue and red and after a 1936 basketball game, exclusively red. A 1940s newspaper praised the play of the "red devils" which in turn led to the popular nickname Los Diablos Rojos and the club's emblem which features a devil in red. They are also sometimes known as Los Escarlatas (The Scarlet) and La Mechita (The Fuse), which is used in the context of "the fuse is lit" when the team plays.
América de Cali received a great deal of funding from the Cali drug cartel during the 1980s up until the early 2000s, funding which certainly brought in quality players and success. That funding eventually led to the club being added to the infamous Clinton List of organizations with drug trafficking ties. This has had a devastating effect on the club's finances and success has been limited in recent years.
The rivalry with Deportivo Cali is known as the Clasico Vallecaucano - the Classic of the Cauca Valley, where Cali is located. They are the only Colombian club to have won five consecutive titles and have also appeared in the most Copa Libertadores finals, though they've never won.
Estadio Olímpico Pascual Guerrero:
The Estadio Pascual Guerrero - El Pascual - was shared with city rival Deportivo Cali until Deportivo built their own stadium on the outskirts of the city of Cali. It is named for a Cali poet.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 13 May 2012 15:52|