Full Name: Chelsea Football Club
Chelsea Football Club was formed on March 14, 1905 by Gus Mears, owner of the Stamford Bridge athletics ground. Mears had attempted to persuade other clubs to move into the stadium but when he found no takers he formed a club of his own to fill it. Chelsea joined the Football League that following autumn for the 1905-06 season. Chelsea is a neighborhood of London, although the club and stadium are actually based in the nearby district of Fulham. The club originally wore light blue jerseys in homage to the horse racing colors of Earl Cadogan. They changed to royal blue in 1912 and adopted blue shorts in the 1960s in a bid to become more distinctive as many other English clubs wore blue shirts and white shorts.
The Chelsea emblem includes a backward-facing lion holding a staff, both elements of the coat of arms of the Metropolitan Borough of Chelsea. The backward-facing lion appears on the coat of arms of the Earl Cadogan, the former Viscount of Chelsea who was an early club president. The Chelsea emblem also incorporates two footballs, two roses (to represent England), and the official club name of Chelsea Football Club.
Stamford Bridge gets it name from a bridge over the Stanford Creek, a local waterway that has long since dried up.
First Tier League Titles
Second Tier League Titles
|Last Updated on Saturday, 12 May 2012 20:16|